- Participate in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs and provide continued counsel and guidance on legal matters.
- Serve as key lawyer/legal advisor on all major business transactions, e.g. acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, financing, leasing, international and domestic expansion and other business development.
- Manage all litigation filed against or on behalf of the company in the areas of transactional business, intellectual property, labor & employment, benefits general liability and worker’s compensation.
- Advise on legal aspects of the company’s corporate structuring, including assessing and advising on current and future business entity structures.
- Provide guidance for compliance with applicable Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and NASDAQ requirements, corporate governance regulations, and requirements related to other public filings; including Annual Reports and Proxy Statements and press releases.
- Provide guidance in areas including benefit and welfare plans, business continuity planning, enterprise risk, food safety, manufacturing regulations and insurance.
- Provide guidance on equity compensation and performance incentive programs.
- Provide guidance and oversight on global intellectual property strategy.
- Play a key role on the Cyber Incident Response and Crisis Management teams.
- Provide support regarding security awareness implementation and training.
- Manage contracting and business transactions.
- Oversee document retention program.
- Oversee the selection, management and evaluation of all outside counsel.
- Advise and consult with the Board of Directors; prepare Board of Directors and Board Committee agendas in conjunction with other executive officers & lead director.
- Serve as Secretary to the Board of Directors.
- Strong leadership skills participating as part of the executive management team, advising Board of Directors, and working with internal and external legal teams.
- Critical/creative thinking and analytical skills.
- Strong communication skills, including written, verbal, and presentation.
- Excellent teamwork and proficiency working across multiple divisions and levels.
- Strong collaboration skills at all levels of the organization.
- Thoroughness and pays attention to details.
- Discretion and confidentiality.
- 10+ years of experience in corporate, securities or securities’ litigation practice.
- Law degree/admission to the California bar.
- Broad, overview experience in business transactions, international law, securities, and intellectual property law.
- Exposure to or familiarity with the following areas of law: employment, benefit plans, real estate, finance, risk management, corporate governance, crisis media management, cybersecurity and privacy.
- Experience advising a Board of Directors of a public company.
- Experience managing other attorneys and supervising support staff; experience with cost-effective management of outside legal resources.
- Familiarity and understanding of Sarbanes-Oxley, Dodd Frank and other related corporate governance legislation and familiarity with financial accounting principles of public companies, including legally required disclosures.
- Experience in directing strategy and managing complex litigation, including class actions, and preferably exposure to PAGA claims in California.
- 5+ years as General Counsel for a publicly listed corporation.
This position offers industry-leading benefits including; medical, dental, vision, Executive Savings Plan with match, tuition reimbursement and a sabbatical after five years of employment for qualifying staff members.
Recognized as one of the FORTUNE “100 Best Companies to Work For", The Cheesecake Factory Incorporated operates more than 200 full-service, casual dining restaurants throughout the U.S. and Puerto Rico. Internationally, sixteen The Cheesecake Factory® restaurants operate under licensing agreements. Continuing on our path to becoming a Global Iconic Brand, we employ more than 35,000 staff members, 320 of whom work at the corporate support center in Calabasas Hills, CA. #SoCheesecake #LifeAtCheesecake
The Cheesecake Factory Incorporated is an Equal Opportunity and E-Verify Employer and provides reasonable accommodations consistent with its legal obligations; we do not provide work visa sponsorship.